Not all forms of photo ID can be used to prove your identity when voting at a polling station. In all upcoming elections only photo ID from a pre-approved list can be used by voters to receive their ballots. Photo Voter ID you can use includes:

  • A United Kingdom passport
  • A passport issued by an EEA state or a Commonwealth country  
  • A national identity card issued by an EEA state  
  • A UK driving licence  
  • A driving licence issued by any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or an EEA state
  • A biometric immigration document  
  • An identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (a PASS card)  
  • A Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card)  
  • Any of the following concessionary travel passes funded by the UK Government: - Older Person’s Bus Pass, Disabled Person’s Bus Pass, Oyster 60+ Card, Freedom Pass  
  • A Blue Badge 

Any other form of photo ID won’t be accepted by polling stations as proof of your identity. This means you can’t use your club membership card, student card, or certain kinds of travel cards, even though they have your photo, name, and age on them.

If you have one of the above forms of photo ID, then all you need to do is register to vote and you will be set to cast your ballot at a polling station in the next election.

‘I don’t own an accepted form of photo ID to vote, what now?’

Many LGBTQ+ people in the UK don’t own any of the above forms of photo ID or might not have access to them. Applying for any of the forms of an accepted photo Voter ID listed above can take weeks, or even months. Apply for them well in advance of any election. You can find out how to apply for the different types of photo ID above here [LINK].

The Elections Act 2022 has also introduced a new form of photo ID designed to be used in elections: the Free Voter Authority Certificate which can be used as valid proof of identification in elections. To apply for a free Voter Authority Certificate, you must provide your:

  • name
  • address
  • date of birth
  • National Insurance number (you can still apply without your NI number if you do not have it with you)
  • a recent digital photo of yourself
  • You can read more about the free Voter Authority Certificate here [LINK] , as well as information about how to find your National Insurance number if you don’t know it. 

You can apply for a free Voter Authority Certificate without your National Insurance number (although it's handy).

More information about the free Voter Authority Certificate is available from the Electoral Commission.

Supported by the Greater London Authority, City Hall, Kamal Chunchie Way, London E16 1ZE. Printed and promoted by LGBT HERO, Unit 74, The Link, 49 Effra Road, London SW2 1BZ