If you don't have a valid photo ID under the new rules, you can apply for one. 

Below we detail all the information on where and how you can apply for each form of photo ID that’s now accepted as proof of identification in elections in the UK.

If you want support in applying for any of the photo ID listed below, then you can attend one of our Voter Photo ID drop-ins. We can help you register to vote, apply for photo ID, and answer any questions you have about the new voting laws.

Quick Links

United Kingdom passport 

Passport issued by an EEA state or a Commonwealth country

National identity card issued by an EEA state

UK driving licence

Driving licence issued by any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or an EEA state

Biometric immigration document

Identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (a PASS card)

Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card)

Older Person’s Bus Pass, Disabled Person’s Bus Pass, Oyster 60+ Card, Freedom Pass

Blue Badge

Free Voter Authority Certificate

United Kingdom passport

A UK passport is available to British citizens and allows them to travel abroad. Adult UK passports are valid for travel for 10 years. However, for UK elections, the expiry date doesn’t matter, and they can be used after the expiry date.

Cost Apply Online Requirements Waiting time Information / documents Displays gender

£75.50 (Standard fee)

£177 (fast track service)


(documents must be physically sent)

Must be a British national (domestic or abroad) or a British Protected Person

10 weeks standard

At earliest, two days using fast track service

Primary documents are a birth certificate and photo, and for those born after 1982, parental birth certificates. Those born outside the UK may need to supply old passports and other documents . Yes

You can begin the application for a British passport online on the government’s website. The process requires original documents (like a birth certificate) to be physically posted for verification, and photocopies or picture copies won’t be accepted. Requirements for supplementary documents vary depending on your personal circumstances, so it’s recommended to read the guidance thoroughly.

Renewing a UK passport

If you already own a UK passport but it’s expired, then you can apply to renew it online here. The process costs £75.50, and requires you to supply the following:

  • a digital photo
  • a credit or debit card
  • your passport

Trans people and passports

The new election laws in the UK state that voters can be refused a ballot if the presented photo ID “raises a reasonable doubt as to whether the voter is the elector or proxy (person / person they’re voting for) that the voter claims to be.”

For any trans or gender-nonconforming people who have either changed their gender expression since their last passport, had gender confirmation surgery, or legally changed their name, this could cause their passport to be rejected as photo ID at a polling station. 

The Elections Act doesn’t specify what constitutes “reasonable doubt”, which means much of the decision is at the discretion of the officer handing out ballots.

For more information, read our advice for trans and gender nonconforming people

Changing your passport details (name, photo)

This government document lays out information for trans people about changing names, gender, and photos on existing passports, and applying for new ones in what they call your “acquired gender” in this document.

Depending on which of the above personal details you have changed, you may need to supply:

  • a Gender Recognition Certificate
  • a new birth or adoption certificate showing your acquired gender
  • a letter from your doctor or medical consultant confirming your change of legal gender is likely to be permanent

If you’re sending a letter from your doctor or medical consultant and you’re changing your name, you’ll also need to supply both of the following:

  • evidence of your change of name (such as a deed poll)
  • evidence that you’re using your new name (for example a payslip, or a letter from your local council)

If you want more information about how the election law changes affect trans people, read our complete guide which also provides information on how to best ensure that you’re able to vote.

A passport issued by an EEA state or a Commonwealth country  

You can also use a passport from an EEA (European Economic Area) or a Commonwealth Country as a photo ID at polling stations. The cost, requirements and waiting times for a passport vary depending on the issuing country. However, passports always display an individual’s gender.

For a list of countries in the EEA, click here.

For a list of Commonwealth countries, click here.

A national identity card issued by an EEA state  

National identity cards are issued to citizens of most EEA countries, except Denmark, Iceland, and Ireland. They are used to exercise freedom of movement (travel between) EEA countries. 

As national identity cards are issued by individual EEA countries, the costs, waiting times, and required information depend on the issuing country. Most display an individual’s gender.

A UK driving licence  

There are multiple types of driving licence: a provisional driving license, where driver must be accompanied by a full licence holder when driving, and a full driving licence. Both are valid forms of photo ID for voting in UK elections.

Cost Apply Online Requirements Waiting time Information / documents Displays gender

Provisional licence 

£34 (online) £47 (postal)

Provisional licence – yes

Full driving licence (no)

Provisional licence- be at least 15 years and 9 months old be able to read a number plate from 20 metres away have been given permission to live in Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) for at least 185 days.

Full driving licence – above, also a provisional licence and passed driving test

4 weeks

an identity document, such as your passport, addresses where you’ve lived for up to the last 3 years No

You can apply for a provisional driving license online here via the DVLA. To apply for a full license once you’ve passed your driving test, you can apply by post using the information here.

A driving licence issued by any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or an EEA state 

Driving licences from other countries can also be used as photo ID at polling stations. The cost, requirements and waiting times vary, depending on the issuing country.

A biometric immigration document  

This can refer to a biometric residence permit or a biometric residence card, which are two separate forms of photo ID. A BRP confirms your right to study and right to any public services or benefits you’re entitled to. You’ll usually get a BRP in certain circumstances like if you apply to come to the UK for longer than 6 months or extend your visa to longer than 6 months. Biometric residence cards are no longer issued.

An identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (a PASS card)  

PASS is a proof of age accreditation scheme endorsed by the Home Office. It means that certain photo ID cards bear the PASS logo, and these cards are valid for use as photo ID in elections.

Because the scheme covers a series of different photo ID cards, the requirements, application process, and information / documents required vary. Most cards cost in the region of £15.

You can see a full list of card suppliers on the PASS website.

A Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card)    

The MOD 90 is an identity card issued to members of the UK armed forces. It allows veterans to confirm their service and identity. It is not issued to civilians.

Cost Apply Online Requirements Waiting time Information / documents Displays gender


A government portal for older veterans without cards will be launched in 2023/2024

Current or former member of armed forces


N/A No

Any of the following concessionary travel passes funded by the UK Government: 

Older Person’s Bus Pass, Disabled Person’s Bus Pass, Oyster 60+ Card, Freedom Pass  

Certain photo ID travel cards can be used to vote. At the moment, the pre-approved cards are only available to older or disabled people. This means that travel cards used by younger people, such as the 16-25 Railcard, 26-30 Railcard, or student ID card are not accepted as a proof of identification for voting.

Older person’s bus passes are issued by local councils, so there are a wide variety of cards with different application requirements. You can find a link to your local council’s application form or application information by entering your postcode here.

Disabled person’s bus passes are issued separately in England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. In England they are administered by councils and other partners. In Wales, and Northern Ireland they are issued nationally. You can find out more information about where to apply in England here.

The Oyster 60+ card and Freedom Pass are both issued in London. 

Oyster 60+ application is issued by Transport for London.

Freedom Passes are available in two forms: an older person’s Freedom Pass and a disabled person’s Freedom Pass. They both have different requirements. 

The older person’s Freedom Pass is aligned to the women’s state pension age (66 years) and issued centrally by London Councils. .

The disabled person’s freedom pass requires application via an email to the borough council where the person lives.

Type / cost Apply Online Requirements Waiting time Information / documents Displays gender

Older person’s bus pass - Free

Yes, in most cases

Aged 60+


Variable between card issuer:

Proof of your address (e.g. a bank statement, utility bill, Council Tax bill (dated within the last 3 months)

Proof of your age (e.g. passport, letter of pension entitlement, medical card, birth certificate, driving licence)

National Insurance number

No, in most cases

Disabled person’s bus pass - Free

Yes, in most cases

Registered disabled


 Proof of disability, national insurance number, other forums of ID, proof of address No, in most cases

Oyster 60+ card - £10 (annual)


Aged 60+ and live in London borough

2 weeks


Active email address

Details from passport or UK driving licence, image of your passport


Freedom pass (older person)


Aged 60 or over on the 6th of April 2010 or of state pension age and live in London


Posted within 10 working days

proof of your name and age, proof of your residential address in London, colour photograph of yourself


Freedom pass (disabled person)



Disabled (statutory disabilities listed in the Transport Act 2000) and live in London borough



Proof of disability, proof of address, another form of identification


A Blue Badge

Blue Badges are a form of photo ID which allow disabled people to use designated parking spaces. The criteria for who qualifies is very complicated, we advise reading the page on the government website to see if you meet the eligibility criteria

The decision as to whether you’ll be issued a blue badge is actually made by your local council, and can take a long time. The required information and documentation to get a blue badge is also extensive.

Cost Apply Online Requirements Waiting time Information / documents Displays gender

Up to £10 in England and £20 in Scotland


Complex, please read eligibility criteria

Up to 12 weeks

proof of identity, proof of address, photo of yourself, National Insurance Number (if you have one), proof of benefit, proof of address, proof of identity, other supporting documents


Free Voter Authority Certificate

The government has introduced a new form of photo ID which is meant specifically for use in elections called the Voter Authority Certificate

You can use a free Voter Authority Certificate just like one of the other accepted forms of photo ID when you’re voting at a polling station. Unlike many other forms of photo ID like driver’s licences and passports, it’s free to apply for. 

It’s important to note that you won’t be able to use a Voter Authority Certificate for any other reason than voting in an election. 

You can apply for a free Voter Authority Certificate via the online portal.

Cost Apply Online Requirements Waiting time Information / documents Displays gender



Eligible to vote in UK elections (you should register to vote here gov.uk/register-to-vote.)

Must apply at before 5pm, 6 working days before polling day

recent digital photo of yourself

National Insurance Number

If NIN not available other documentation like bank statements or utility bill


Supported by the Greater London Authority, City Hall, Kamal Chunchie Way, London E16 1ZE. Printed and promoted by LGBT HERO, Unit 74, The Link, 49 Effra Road, London SW2 1BZ